Why Madeleine Shaw is burning her Happiness Candle right now
Posted by PR Neom
When we saw Madeleines recipe on glazed cinnamon buns on her Instagram (don’t worry we put the recipe below) - we wanted to know what other tips the nutritional therapist (and all round healthy cook, chef, author, oh and mum) had for us, during lockdown. Madeleine tells us about her love for her Happiness Candle right now, why she’s taking vitamin C, her tips for working from home, and shares her feel-good tips too.
Top 5 tips for WFH?
1. Set a routine and use a timetable to stay motivated and on track
2. Begin the day with some sunshine (get outside, have a cup of tea in the garden or go for a walk before the working day begins).
3. Break up the day with exercise, instead of committing to 90 minute online classes which seem tricky to fit into your schedule and easy to put off do little bursts of exercise throughout the day - 10 minutes of sun salutations, 20 minutes of walking, 10 minutes of core strength drills, 10 minute dance break whatever works for you.
4. Eat nutritious snacks and meals and prepare them in advance or keep it quick to prevent procrastinating.
5. Work the hours that suit you, one of the best things about working from home is that you can be on your own schedule (aside from calls) so if you work best in the morning, start earlier, or if you are someone who would rather chill in the morning and start a bit later, you can do that too. The trick is knowing yourself and knowing what works best for you.
Cooking and baking favourites right now?
- Current favourite is definitely these cinnamon rolls (see below for recipe).
- We’ve been cooking a lot of one pot curries like this cauliflower and spinach dahl HERE.
How have you been looking after your wellbeing during this time?
- Limiting my news sources so I don’t feel anxious and checking in with positive news stories at least once daily on the telegraph corona positive.
- Meditation everyday for 15 minutes - I have lots of free guided meditations on my youtube as well as an audio download pack available on my site.
- Writing gratitude lists everyday so I can stay positive and focussed on the good.
How is your wellbeing right now?
My sleep was definitely disrupted at first, but I always try to keep the same bed and wake time and that helps. I limit my blue light exposure for an hour before bed with blue light blocking glasses, and reading a book instead of my phone before bed to wind down.
If I’m feeling anxious I like to take some deep breaths (in for 4, hold for 4, out for 4) and write down all the things which are on my mind, which helps me to process the things I'm worried about. Practicing yoga also really helps me to feel less anxious, so I’ll often do a 20 minute practice too.
Ultimate all time favourite NEOM product? Why?
My favourite product has to be the Happiness 3 Wick Candle, it smells so good and I love using it to read by at night.
I recently finished Sally Rooney’s Normal People and loved it (as well as the tv series), I’m also using the joy journal by Laura Brand for playtime inspiration.
Shay is obsessed with Aladdin right now so that’s been on a lot!
Any supplements you have been taking lately?
Madeleine’s Glazed Cinnamon Rolls
Makes 8 buns
480g of white bread flour
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp of dry yeast
400ml room temp water
80g of brown sugar
2 tbsp of cinnamon
2 tbsp of butter of coconut oil, melted
4 tbsp of butter or coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp of honey or maple
How to make
- The night before mix the flour, salt, yeast and water together. Mix until it forms a ball then place in a large bowl with a tea towel on top. Leave in a warm spot in the house.
- Then the next morning it should have doubled. Place some flour onto a flat surface. Roll out the dough into a large rectangle around 1 cm thick.
- Brush with the 2 tbsp of oil. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together. Then add the cinnamon sugar. Sprinkling over the dough.
- Roll the dough on the long side making a swirl. Cut into 8 sections. Leave to sit for 30 mins.
- Pop in the oven at 170 for 25 mins. Mix the glaze together and pour over the top when out of the oven. Serve warm.