Neom created the first 100% natural treatment candles and our ethos has, and will always, stay the same. Here’s an insight into the intricate creative process of making our natural scented candles
“Anyone who has experienced one knows that a Neom candle is like no other. The original blend, back in 2002 took over three years to perfect. We were told over and over that the concept of pioneering a truly therapeutic treatment candle, which had no synthetic parfum in it, and no chemical additives was impossible. Experts claimed that the amount of essential oils needed was so immense, they wouldn’t burn properly….three years later, in 2005, on a rainy day in north London, my partner Oliver could smell the incredible blend of Real Luxury before he opened the door to our two bedroom flat. We had finally cracked it.” Nicola, co-founder.
You love them for so many reasons: being 100% natural, they burn right to the bottom, produce minimal soot and absolutely no toxins, smell divine and, importantly, have a true positive effect on their mood. This is all down to the natural wax, cotton wicks and at least 10% of pure essential oils in all our Candles, each one carefully crafted by hand.
1. Natural waxes and essential oil fragrances are difficult to work with, one oil, for example the woodier scents, can be so much stronger than others in the citrus family, so for each fragrance blend we trial it with hundreds of different wicks to see which one is the perfect match. Only once we’ve found the best combination do we create a whole batch and start testing them. We have a strict criteria that the candles have to burn evenly all the way to the bottom and are not allowed to pillar down the centre.
2. The process of making the candles starts with ensuring the glass containers are free of any debris, chips, cracks or flaws then pre-wicked for the correct positioning.
3. After the wax has been taken to the correct temperature in the vats we then add the required fragrance dosage and fold in thoroughly before hand pouring.
4. The candles are then left to cure for a few days so that the wax and essential oils can settle. A wander around our candle workshop is an incredible sensory experience; the team prefer working with Feel Refreshed to Tranquillity (which sends them to sleep during the day!)
5. “Once the candles have fully set they are then trimmed, cleaned, labelled and are ready for packing. A new batch takes up to three days to produce.
6. Finally the candles are hand-packed ready for customers, who we feel confident will love the candles and the way they make them feel. Of course, it would be much easier and less expensive to mass produce paraffin wax candles with predictable synthetic fragrances but, as Neom Co-founder Nicola Elliott says, “Just as I wouldn’t allow someone to smoke in my house, I wouldn’t want to burn a candle that emitted toxins.