Sleep Remedies by Pukka's Co-Founder & Master Herbsmith, Sebastian Pole
A good night's rest is one of the best things in the world. We feel relaxed, refreshed and awake. When we sleep well our body repairs itself, our mind relaxes and we process our emotional experiences. Even our dreams, chaotic though they sometimes are, can be a window to our soul helping us to unravel some of life's mystery.
But don't we all miss a good night's sleep when we don't get enough of it? Before we know it we are exhausted and possibly even a tad grumpy. If it becomes a regular pattern there often seems little you can do about it. But there is...
Nature has created many plants that have relaxing properties that can help with sleep patterns. Here are five healing herbs to help support healthy sleeping patterns:
1. LavenderA renowned, herb for settling frazzled nerves. The aromatic essential oils in this plant can help reduce difficulty falling asleep and prevent night-time wakening.
2. LimeflowerA traditional remedy for nightmares and bad dreams. Its calming effect on the nervous system also make it effective in treating a nervous digestion. The perfect, gently remedy for children.
3. ValerianPrimarily a sedative to the nervous system, helping to alleviate anxiety and chronic insomnia. Valerian also relieves muscular tension.
4. AshwagandhaA traditional Ayurvedic remedy shown to improve sleep quality by up to 66%*. It tackles core energy levels, enabling the body to adapt and respond to stress in a more energy-efficient way.
5. OatflowerOats are a natural source of tryptophan. Tryptophan helps regulate our body’s natural circadian rhythms and melatonin is synthesised from Tryptophan. It is melatonin that influences you to feel sleepy; its release can be inhibited even by the presence of artificial lights.
One of the beautiful things about working with herbs is the way they can help our sense of wellbeing every day. We all need our beauty sleep and with my own hyperactive character I had a personal need to find something that could help slow me down when the end of the day beckoned.
That’s why we’ve combined the power of sleep-inducing plants together in our Night Time capsules – a blend of seven organic herbs designed to encourage natural rest and sleep. For extra support, take them with Pukka Night Time tea, a calming and soothing blend that includes chamomile, oat flower, lavender and valerian.
*Study carried out on 218 participants in December 2015.
Image © iStockphoto.com/Skorpion1