Suzy's Twitter Takeover
ON THURSDAY 23rd FEBRUARY, PSYCHOLOGIST, SELF CARE EXPERT AND WELLBEING BOARD MEMBER SUZY READING TOOK OVER OUR TWITTER TO ANSWER YOUR SELF CARE AND WELLBEING QUESTIONS
If you missed the take over, don’t panic, we’ve brought together the most asked questions and Suzy’s insightful answers.
- I struggle to make self care a priority do you have any tips for quick fix self care?
- Keep it simple, incorporate nourishment into everyday rituals - spritz of room spray as you dress, wear your favourite colour, savour a moment of peace with massaging hand balm into your skin as you take a moment out to just be.
- What would be your top tips for self care for new mothers?
- In the absence of sleep, rest wherever possible! Legs up the wall is a great method for relaxing, lay on your back and rest your legs against the wall. Relaxed breathing repeating: I soften into this moment, or a mantra that speaks to you.
- I’m out on the road a lot, what are some good self care audiobooks/podcasts I can listen to in the car?
- I love Mandy Lehto for inspiring podcasts (Listen Here), Amy Cuddy's TED talk on posture rocks (Watch Here) & Sonja Lyubomirsky is my go to for psych inspiration.
- What are some easy practices busy staff can implement throughout the day for better self care?
- Movement & good posture is vital for mood, simple stretches while on the job. #Mindfulness helps too: (Read More)
- Any tips on the follow through of making self care a daily activity/habit?
- Remember your WHY :) Selfcare helps us to be the best version of ourselves so reflecting on all the benefits helps us commit...and then pop a cross on every day of your calendar/diary when you take action. Don't let a day slip by! Pretty soon it's habit.
- As a mum of two I find broken sleep leaves me feeling drained. Any suggestions for daily energy boosting?
- Gentle movement helps me, a simple walk to blow out the cobwebs. Nature is a great boost too. Zoom in on something beautiful...when I'm really pooped, I zoom in on baby Ted's eyes and drink them in or the tiny hairs on face. Gives me a boost!
- I struggle to shut my mind off when I meditate - do you have any tips for totally zoning out to have a clear head?
- Rather than try to clear my mind I prefer to give it something to anchor on - the sensations of breathing, a mantra like ‘I am’ it’s simple and requires no more thought, simple allows you to just be.
- I've 2 young kids & a new (thriving) business. Do you recommend I schedule self care time - where to start?!
- Yes! Make an appointment with YOU :) Or find ways to slide it into everyday rituals - a gratitude walk, a savoured shower. Remember it can be as simple as 60 seconds to breathe in a scent you love, to watch a sunset or reflect on your success!
- I find it difficult to switch off when I get home from work. Any recommendations about how I can relax and wind down?
- Avoid more screen time. Dive into a mag/book you love. Call a buddy - old school :) Stretch out and let go of your day! You can’t beat a relaxed bath and repeat: “I give myself permission to rest. Everything can wait!”
- Generally I'm good with self care food, exercise, at the moment I’m permanently exhausted & busy at work, some new ideas would be great!
- Great observation: we need to vary our selfcare to get maximal effects. Switch it up: eg. sleep, rest, relaxation and breathing, none of which takes much time! Just keep an eye on your energy bank balance and take action. A simple stretch at your desk too goes a long way!
- I can feel low mood period coming on - any easy actions that might help turn it around? I feel external pressure to be on it!
- Manage your energy & nourish your mind with your food, hydration, sleep, rest and remember your purpose - why you’re doing it, and give yourself permission to say 'no' to unnecessary burdens or anything depleting (like the evening news for example)
You can find Suzy over on her own site, along with across social media, simply search Suzy Reading Psychologist.