The Neom Wellbeing Board are going to De Stress me! In 14 days! Watch this space...
Explains Lucy Gill, Neom Brand Manager.
Life can be hectic of course, but with a (very demanding) little boy who is 3 and work (whilst being pregnant) - it seems work and children, are all I have time for. And then Nicola made me Neom Brand Manager. Of course it's an amazing job but after my first glass of celebratory bubbly…the stress started to build. Two weeks into the new job and I start to file meetings with friends as part of my ‘to do' list. Hmmmm. I'm snapping at my poor little boy, feeling tired and (maybe just a little) bit moody.
So, I've embarked on a mission with the help of the newly formed Neom Wellbeing Board to banish this beastly stress. I start by calling Anandi, our brilliant Neom sleep expert and the conversation leads to how I'm waking in the night feeling hot and restless. She says this is a bi product of my cortisol levels rising and causing my body to heat up. It actually means I'm not getting quality, deep sleep. And so I realise there are hidden signs all around me that I need to de stress and take a little time, each day to do something that makes life that bit easier. So enter the Neom Wellbeing Board who have devised me a de-stressing plan. Now, the most urgent thing to do (even before building the Neom brand!) is to look after myself. Because to be fair, if I'm not feeling tip top, everyone suffers. Family, work and me.
THE NEOM WELLBEING BOARD
Here's what I plan to follow over the next 14 days.
Daily 2 minute breathing mindfully - 3 times a day. Deep slow breathing has been scientifically proven to influence our para-sympathetic system that calms us down (I will probably remember to do this at meal times). Focus solely on breathing, deep breaths in and out in the morning, lunchtime and early evening. This teaches the brain a single focus, meaning we can go back to the task at hand with a clearer head.
I'll take a bath at least every other night. A psychologist's study which lasted a fortnight, improved general psychological wellness radically and there was a significant drop in feelings of pessimism. It is best to combine with a good pre sleep routine, of the Neom 3 step programme to the perfect night's sleep and incorporate ‘Viparita Karanai' aka ‘legs up the wall yoga pose'. Eat no later than 7pm, no coffee too, and turn off your computer by 7.30pm (yes iPads and iPhones are considered computers too).
Move the body. Exercise boosts endorphins and feel-good hormones - the key is doing something you feel works for you (you won't actually mind doing it). So why not swim in the morning or lunchtime (we know you're busy) or take pregnancy yoga class?
4. Time alone
For two nights out of the 14, I'm going to book a babysitter and have some alone time. Having a strong social network can reduce stress - more importantly I'm not going to feel guilty about taking that time either (this could be a challenge) - I'll do whatever takes my fancy.
5. My start to a better way of thinking
I'm starting a gratitude activity. This means writing down 3 positive things each night (also helps with better sleep) that happened that day, and importantly, WHY they happened. This is a good way for your mind to begin putting things into perspective.
Massage is good from all manner of things however one main one is that it can soothe stress and anxiety. A review of more than 12 studies found that massage helps relieve anxiety. It lowered cortisol levels by up to 50% and helped reduced stress. So take a de-stressing massage (yay! I'm booked in for a Neom Wellbeing De stress Treatment next week!) recommendations of frequency are between having one every 2-4 weeks, hint hint.
7. Neom essential oil blends
Incorporate the right blends for the way you are feeling into your day to day and the other elements of my plan. Scent to Instantly De-stress blend made with a complex blend of 24 of the purest possible essential oils including lavender, jasmine & Brazilian rosewood can be incorporated as the oils have been chosen with the precise aim of instilling calm and banishing stress. I'll be using the Scent to Instantly De-stress scented candle when I arrive home every night, using the calming room spray and Body Scrub in the bath.
Stress hormones tend to break down protein in the body quite quickly, so I'm going to follow the simple rule of ‘protein with every meal' and increase magnesium which research shows calms & relaxes the cells. Oh and I'm buying a magnesium spray (BetterYou is apparently great).
My New Stress Free Breakfast
• Greek yoghurt with a handful of berries or seeds.
• Cereals such as all bran, natural muesli or porridge made with whole oats.
• Pumpernickel, rye or sourdough toast with a natural nut butter spread.
My Calming Lunch
• Salads using dark leafy greens (spinach, kale, broccoli etc are rich in magnesium which research shows calms & relaxes the cells), topped with grilled chicken, nuts and beans.
• Sandwiches on 100% wholewheat bread filled with lean meats, tuna or vegetables.
• Fresh vegetable soup
• Fresh or frozen fish stir-fried with vegetables and served with wholewheat pasta.
• Chicken breast with stir fried mushroom and courgette served on a bed of bulgar wheat.
• Salmon served with leafy greens and a small portion of new potatoes.
• Snacks should have a mix of complex carbohydrate and protein. Raw or lightly steamed vegetables, fruit (pears, apples, bananas) and berries. Select your protein to go with it - nuts (unsalted and non-roasted), organic and natural nut butters and seeds.
• 1 sliced apple with 2 tablespoons of natural peanut butter.
• 1 pear with a handful of pumpkin seeds.
• Homemade guacamole with crudités (raw vegetables/wholeweat pitta or crispbread).
• Wholewheat pitta with organic hummus.
• Organic edamame beans.
I will be posting my progress along the way, fingers crossed I'm super chilled very soon! so follow us @NeomOrganics and check back on our blog to see the results.